Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dr. Evil gets her way

So on 2/1, we went to our bi-weekly doctor's visit to have our fluid levels checked, and have another Non-Stress Test done of the baby.
We had argued with Dr. Evil for some time about the fact that we were refusing induction unless there was a medically necessary reason for it, and, well, she found one: slightly low fluid levels. It was a little suspicious to us how she measured the fluid levels because we had seen these measured many times before and she seemed to have a new method this visit. So when she mentioned that she wanted us to be induced (or in her words "We need to have this baby today, no matter what"), we asked for a second opinion on the fluid level front. So we got to the hospital to do the NST and she shows up and says that she would be doing the "second opinion" fluid level check for us with a second test. We explained that we wanted another person to do the test, and had been told that the radiologist at the hospital would be able to do one for us and she insisted that the radiology department there "doesn't know anything but broken bones" and would not be the experts at measuring fluid levels on an ultrasound. Now, mind you, these people are the experts at ultrasounds and other radiological devices, but she seemed to be convinced that she would do it better. We told her that the whole point of a second opinion is to have a separate set of eyes, and that even if we had been told that we had to be induced by our midwife, we would have asked for a second opinion. We said it was something we decided long before that moment - if any interventions were forced on us, we wanted a second opinion to ensure that they were medically necessary. She started ranting about how we didn't trust her (true) and that she knew she was the last person we wanted delivering our baby (also true) but that all she wanted was a "healthy baby and a healthy mom" and that we needed to let go of our need to control the situation. Ironic since she was clearly having control issues. Things got even more heated and I told her that with all due respect, I didn't need her to lecture me on letting go of control. If 4+ years of infertility and enduring the IVF process wasn't a lesson in letting go of control, I'd be hard pressed to find a situation that was. She then backed off a tiny bit and said that we needed to consider the fact that I wasn't dilating. I have had some problems with my cervix before, so it wasn't completely unheard of that we may need medical intervention in that area (like Cervidil, which is a medicine that is supposed to help dilate the cervix), so we were amenable to discussing it, but wanted to do so amicably. We asked her for a few minutes alone and we discussed it and called our doula. The nurse at the hospital told us that usually Cervidil is given in the evening around 9 pm, so that most of the early labor is done while the patient is sleeping. So we decided we'd leave the hospital and come back at 8 pm, to get the Cervidil placed at 9. Well, Dr. Evil told us that she wasn't letting us leave the hospital at all, let alone to come back in the evening because she "didn't work nights" (telling, no?). She and I battled it out for a bit and I was too worn down to even argue any more. I had been laboring for over a week, was fully effaced but not dilated, was emotionally and physically exhausted, and really didn't see the big deal 5 hours would make (was I wrong!!). So we came to a compromise that she would "let us" go home and pack but only gave us an hour and a half to do so. We had to be back at the hospital by 3 pm. We had been arguing with her since about 9 am that morning. I should add that to the labor timeline. Ha ha.
Anyway, here is the video diary of us leaving for the hospital after we packed and were getting ready to head over there. Not a fun moment for us. Dr. Evil got her way.

P.S. For anyone wondering "what's the big deal about getting induced?" I will add this:
I studied, practiced, and prepared in every way imaginable for a natural childbirth. I spent the entire pregnancy doing so. An induction increases the likelihood of an epidural by about 75% (contractions are stronger and more painful than naturally-occurring contractions) and increases the odds of a c-section by 50% - two things we worked so hard to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment